We stayed in the hospital until Wednesday afternoon. When Haylie was first born they did a blood sugar test on her and she had low blood sugar (the first of many pricks on the bottom of her foot).
They gave her a small bottle to get her blood sugar up and then we had to supplement her with formula to make sure her blood sugar levels were normal. They continued to prick the bottom of her foot for the next 2 days to check. After so many good readings they said she was ok and quit checking.
Daddy's Little Girl!
She was also running a fever of 102.9 and I was running a fever of 100 when I delivered her. They worked on her - bathing her and testing her and feeding her for about 30 minutes then everyone passed her around and took pictures and I finally got to hold her again. She was absolutely perfect.
What a perfect, beautiful little angel.
It didn't take them long to move me to a mother-baby room and about 30 minutes later they came in and got Haylie and took her to the NICU. They started an IV so that they could give her 2 different antibiotics as a precaution because we were both running fevers. They kept her there for about 2 hours. They got in an IV and the first antibiotic and her IV blew so they tried to get in another one. They couldn't get it in so they ended up having to come in every 12 hours and give her shots in the leg. Poor thing - she was like a little pin cushion. Before we left on Wednesday they pricked her foot again to test her bilirubin level (jaundice). 
You sure can get used to all the nurses helping around the clock and being fed a decent meal on a schedule! Poor Jamie had to sleep on that so called couch for 2 nights! It didn't look comfortable!
We had Haylie's pictures taken in the hospital. Here is the link to view them. http://www.our365.com/NewbornPortraits/BabyDetail.aspx?BirthId=f5ae4fc5-d8a1-4dc3-b5d6-023483b03588
The Story of Haylie's Name:We didn't decide on Haylie's name until a couple of hours before we left the hospital. She was Baby Crunk or Baby Girl for almost 3 days. We had a couple of options but wanted to wait until we saw her before we picked out a name. Well, when we saw her we still weren't sure so we decided to spend a little time with her to see what name fit her. We had to fill out her birth certificate information before we left the hospital so we finally picked a name: Haylie. Then we polled everyone on the spelling...we couldn't decide on that either. I finally had enough and told Jamie to just pick out the one he liked and put it on the birth certificate. He let me have the middle name Grace (he wanted Marie after my middle name) so I let him pick out the spelling of Haylie.


2 comments:
Love the pic of Jamie leaning over that sweet baby, post-birth.
She's still one of the sweetest, cutest babies I know (besides my own little ladybug, of course!) but dang,was she a pretty newborn! I think it's these big babies that look like 3 month olds! :)
will call soon to check in.
Thanks. I think she is pretty cute too! I think you are right about the big babies...they don't look quite so fresh when they come out.
Talk to you soon.
Post a Comment