April 6, 2008 - 1 am. I was driving home from Cyndi's Stampin' Up party. I started having contractions but didn't realize it or just didn't want to accept it - I just wasn't ready yet. Jamie was at Wes' house playing cards and wasn't home when I got home. I went to bed and kept waking up with contractions (still trying to talk myself out of them). I got up and went to church with my mom and dad. They could tell that I was in some pain. After communion I went to the bathroom and that is when I knew it was time. When we left church we stood in line to talk to Pastor Phil on the way out. We don't always do that but we did that Sunday. He gave me a prayer angel - I definitely needed it that day! I went home and Jamie was cleaning the house. I told him not to freak out but that it was time. He started timing my contractions. My mom brought over some Wendy's for us for lunch. I had the bland baked potato (actually 2) like they suggested in our childbirth class.
Jamie and I both started hurrying around the house getting things ready - our bags packed, some laundry done, things ready for when we got home. I would yell for Jamie or my mom whenever a contraction came on and they would time it and write it down. Then back to whatever we were doing (like I said before, we weren't ready yet). Finally they got close enough together to call the doctor. My mom and Jamie kept trying to get me to call but I wanted to make some cheese biscuits first since I knew they wouldn't let me eat once I got to the hospital. Around 6:30 pm we left for the hospital. When I got there it was very quiet. They got me in a room and all hooked up. I was dilated to 3 cm but my contractions were not close enough together or strong enough yet. Instead of sending me home they made me walk the hallways for 2 hours. Fun! Jamie walked with me for awhile then headed out to get some food. He was so anxious he had to get out and do something.
About 9 pm they checked me again and said they would keep me. I finally asked for some pain medicine around midnight. Whatever they gave me worked really well for about an hour. They could only give it to me every 2 hours so when it wore off my contractions were really strong.
I finally gave in and asked for the epidural. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but then again pain is all relative. That epidural was the best thing that happened to me! It made me relax and not feel a thing. I actually slept for a little bit and then started to get the urge to push. They checked me again and I was fully dilated so they turned off my epidural so I could feel the contractions coming.
I pushed for 2 hours and then they figured out that she was face up instead of face down. They tried to turn her and she eventually got to be ear up. The doctor said that she would let me push for about 15 more minutes and then they could try to vacuum her out or they would have to do a c-section. I think we both heard that and didn't like the sound of either one because about 15 minutes later she had turned on her own and was face down and finally came out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment